The Hernandez Family

Here's a wonderful site for our friends and family to see what's happening here in Round Lake! Hope you enjoy!

Growing Like a Weed!

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Trip to the Beach

Last weekend, Ascher and I headed down South for a little fun. I was really excited and looking forward to our visit, until the day before we left. I woke up to the radio says there were terrible fires ripping through a popular tourist destination, North Myrtle Beach!! I thought it was similar to the fires we had in '01, just a simple brush fire with little to no damage (they were building new roads and someone threw a cigarette, which took out dead trees and was over rather quickly). Once online and with a little more investigating (and a large cup of coffee), I discovered it was worse than that. It hit a new community close to where I worked in High School, Alligator Adventure. It was on the other side of the waterway, and was in very little danger of coming anywhere near my parents house. But it was causing quite a bit of chaos and commotion with schools and lives.

Luckily, our flight was perfectly normal and on time. The only odd thing about the flight was the decent into MB airport. I luckily was on the right side of the plane and saw a sight that I didn't think would effect me much. But it did. All you saw was smoke.....for miles. And I had this sinking feeling in my stomach, wondering when the fire would end. You saw a few black patches where the flames had subsided, but it was so small compared to the smoke and ash. The fire continued for our entire trip, and sent smoke and ash everywhere. The fire is now completely out, and clean-up has begun. I read several rather sad stories of families losing everything, and others that were completely spared. The photos are really heart-wrenching to look at (http://www.thesunnews.com/) and just makes me grateful that not a soul was injured (except for one policeman who's foot got ran over by a driver who was acting suspicious).




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home